The Stewartry Sports Council hosts an annual awards ceremony which recognises the achievements of sports people and teams in the area.
The search for this year's Stewartry Sports Personality of the Year has started. Stewartry Sports Council have opened nominations for their annual awards night, which will be held at Twynholm's Cocoa Bean Factory on Friday, November 25.
Sportsmen, women, teams and coaches from across the Stewartry will be honoured at the ceremony, which will also include presentations and demonstrations. The sports council is grateful to the support of local business who, like them, are keen to see success of sports stars and teams recognised. They're now asking you to suggest people for the prizes, including a successor to last year's sports personality of the year Jock Armstrong.
This year's categories are:
- Sports Personality of the Year, sponsored by the Galloway News: This category is open to any person living in, or originally from, the Stewartry who has achieved success at local, national or international level.
- Junior Sports Personality of the Year, sponsored by the The Co-operative: This category is open to anyone under the age of 18 who is living in the Stewartry.
- Team of the year, sponsored by BSW Timber, Dalbeattie: This award is open to any team that plays in or represents the Stewartry in any sport and any age level.
- Club of the year, sponsored by The Cocoa Bean Factory: This award is open to any sports club based in or representing the Stewartry.
- Coach/Administrator of the Year, sponsored by Drew Low, Castle Douglas: This prize is open to someone who has shown dedication or success in coaching or providing the administrative back-up to a club or individual in the past year.
- Outstanding Achievement at Club Level: This is open to teams or individuals who have demonstrated an achievement or performance at a local or national level which is worthy of recognition. There are two categories: Junior section which is sponsored by J Smith Fencing and Senior section which is sponsored by H Smith and Sons.
- Newcomer to Sport award, sponsored by Helen Bell: This is open to any club, team or individual who has recently (in the past three years) taken up a new sport and met with success.
- Service to Sport award, sponsored by the Scottish Association of Local Sports Councils: Open to any individual coach/administrator for their voluntary contribution to sport over a lengthy period of time.
All entries will be considered so get your entry in rather than leaving it to someone else to make a nomination. All nominations must be submitted by Friday, November 4.
Forms are also available from the community centre. Send completed forms to:
Stewartry Sports Council Sports Awards,
Every nomination will go before the panel of judges, a shortlist compiled and the winner announced on the night.
We kindly ask for last years winners to return trophies to Mark Adams at the community centre